[plug] not too dumb I hope

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Tue May 27 17:10:09 WST 2008

Andrew Furey wrote:
> On 27/05/2008, Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au> wrote:
>>  I hope my question isn't too dumb, but I just can't visualise what's going
>> to happen when I virtualise my idea.
>>
>>  Say I have 2 physical HDDs, /apart/ from the drive where my system and home
>> directory is mounted, and each of which has only 1 partition.  If I mount
>> one as, say, ~kev/music and another one as ~/kev/music/favourites will there
>> be any collision of any sort?  For instance, when I check how much space
>> I've used on each will the figures for ~kev/music also include whatever
>> stuff is in ~/kev/music/favoutites?  While the latter is a separate HDD, it
>> is mounted as a subdirectory of the former.
>>  I think my seniors' moments are coming all too frequently now-a-days.  My
>> head gets in a spin just trying to visualise what it is I'm wanting to do.
>
> A "du" of ~kev/music/ will include the subdirectory content in the
> total (assuming it's mounted), but a "df" will show them individually.

You can also use the -x arg to du, and so long as you haven't specified
the subdir with a wildcard (eg "du -x ~kev/music/*" will be unhelpful),
it'll ignore the separate filesys.

Side note - I like dumb questions. I can occasionally understand them,
and more rarely, I can even contribute toward an answer (:

Greg.

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955