[plug] not too dumb I hope

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Tue May 27 18:39:07 WST 2008

Peter Taekema wrote:
> Hi Kev,
>
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 16:59 +0800, Kev wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I hope my question isn't too dumb, but I just can't visualise what's
>> going to happen when I virtualise my idea.
>>
>> Say I have 2 physical HDDs, /apart/ from the drive where my system and
>> home directory is mounted, and each of which has only 1 partition.  If I
>> mount one as, say, ~kev/music and another one as ~/kev/music/favourites
>> will there be any collision of any sort?  For instance, when I check how
>> much space I've used on each will the figures for ~kev/music also
>> include whatever stuff is in ~/kev/music/favoutites?  While the latter
>> is a separate HDD, it is mounted as a subdirectory of the former.
>>

> I don't believe in 'dumb questions'!
>
> I understand what you are trying to 'visualise' and as far as I can
> tell, it won't be a problem.
>
> The moment you 'mount' a drive at a certain point in your directory
> tree, that directory in effect gets 'hidden' (from the current file
> system).  In other words, even if the directory ~kev/music/favourites
> already has stuff in it, the moment you mount another drive at that
> point, it will cease to be visible and/or available until you un-mount
> it.  You will only 'see' the contents of the newly mounted drive.
>
> The new 'mounted' directory 'favourites' doesn't get counted as part of
> the physical drive that 'music' is on, when you check drive space,
> because that is done at a different level...
>
> Does that make sense?
>
>> I think my seniors' moments are coming all too frequently now-a-days.
>> My head gets in a spin just trying to visualise what it is I'm wanting
>> to do.
>>

> I relate completely to the 'seniors' moments!  ;-)

Me too!
I have a separate partition for /data, and another for /data/images.  As
long as the system knows to mount /data first, there is no problem.

I seem to remember sometime in the far-distant past when mounting to a
non-empty directory was not allowed.  Now that it is allowed, it has
very interesting possibilities.

Jim