[plug] Trying to get Bigpond 3G network up-and-running

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Sat May 31 12:54:46 WST 2008

Hi David

On Sat, 31 May 2008, quoth dbuddrige at bigpond.com:

> However, while I was able to connect to the CDMA network by running
> wvdial, with a phone number of #777, under 3g this number does not
> work.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure the bigpond 3g modem?  I had tried
> using the number #99* as well but this does not work either].

I haven't used 3G on Bigpond but I have on Voda and Optus, and in both
cases the number is *99#

You also need to set the access point name with a command like:

'AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","vfinternet.au"'  (for Voda)

A quick google shows multiple possibilities for Telstra:

+cgdcont=1,"ip","telstra.internet"
+cgdcont=1,"IP","telstra.pcpack"
+cgdcont=1,"IP","telstra.datapack"
+cgdcont=1,"IP","telstra.bigpond"

I don't know which is appropriate for you. Perhaps some experimentation is
required.

> I have had to upgrade my kernel (to 2.6.25.3) to get linux to recognise
> the modem, which it does
> now seem to do - since wvdialconf recognises the device [on ttyUSB1)

Is it only detected on ttyUSB1? or also on ttyUSB0?

My Voda PCMCIA 3G adapter appears on both USB0 and USB1, but I think USB1
is only used for getting Out-of-band information from the modem while it
is connected, try changing your wvdial to use ttyUSB0 instead

I just found this recent blog post which appears to be what you need:

http://yob.id.au/blog/2008/05/22/telstra_nextg_and_linux/

 - Matt