[plug] ubuntu 8.10 won't shutdown

Innis Cunningham innisc at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:10:47 WST 2008

Thanks guys for the advice with reference to other partitioning programs.
I was trying using the partition program that is used by the Ubuntu
installer to adjust the partition size but from what you are saying
here and the fact that I did not seem to be able to adjust the partition
size using the installer that it maybe easier to remove all the data off
the HDD and just reformat the whole drive.It is only 5GB of a 80GB
drive so I can afford to loose that for the time being until I do a complete
reformat.
Just as a matter of interest about the shutdown problem it would appear
 from the Ubuntu forum that this is a knowen problem with Ubuntu 8.10.
Something about the network shutting down before ALSA causing ALSA to
hang for about 5 mins before it times out and shutdown is complete.I guess
I will just stick with my trusty 8.04 for now
Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
Innis