[plug] Dell Inspiron Mini 9

Blake Munro blake.munro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 17:57:30 WST 2008

Hi all,

Slightly-offtopic-kinda-not-ish,

I got myself an Acer Aspire One (XP version) from Officeworks last week for
$598 with a $99 cashback from Acer.
The only reason I purchased the XP version is because I wanted the 120gb HDD
rather than the 8gb solid state... 8gb is not quite enough to be able to
dual boot XP and Linux and I have a requirement for Windows (sigh... bloody
DRM and work training videos)

Anyhoo, I download the eee version of Ubuntu (www.ubuntu-eee.com) and
installed it via a 1gb USB stick.
It runs like a dream! Most defenantly worth a look for those who are wanting
to run Ubuntu on their netbook.

Cheers,
Blake

2008/10/20 Gregory Orange <gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com>

> sothisistheinternet wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Gregory Orange
>> Asus 1000H and 901 Linux and XP all come with 1GB RAM, and can take up
>> to 2GB by replacing the supplied module. Some really good deals
>> available on these now if you know where to look.
>>
>>  Looks pretty reasonable. I still prefer the HP, and would buy one if it
>>> weren't for the 1.2GHz Via CPU and the $800 price tag.
>>>

>> You're in luck! 1.6GHz models of the HP 2133 are out and start at $545
>> after $100 cash back from HP. This is from the OnlineComputer advert
>> from today at the overclockers.com.au forums (free to register,
>> interesting forums, PLE and Netplus advertise there as well, plus
>> there're these member discounts...).
>>

> I ummed and ahh'd a whole lot, and bought a 1000H.
>

>> You'd have to import the 1000 and the warranty is not an international
>> one. It's got an SSD instead of an HDD, too, but then again it is the
>> linux version!
>>
>>  PLE has the 1000H for $549, which is an excellent price, although
>> some JB salespeople once seeing this will undercut by $20 or so
>> dollars, same with HN.
>>

> And PLE have them in stock, and they deliver for only $9. I've bought one!
> Should arrive this week. Thanks for the tip, $600 was the cheapest I'd seen
> them (I'd also seen $750 and $1200!), but I must have neglected to look at
> PLE.
>
> Ciao,
> Greg.

Regards,