[plug] ubuntu-eee

Mike Holland michael.holland at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:14:08 WST 2008

Blake Munro wrote:
 > Once you use the program to extract the ISO to your USB drive and make
 > it bootable, it simply boots like a live CD, so you can try before you
 > install.

OK, that sounds promising. thanks.

Richard Meyer wrote:

> Dunno, but I'd hardly classify the X series as netbooks,

Well, they are small and cheap (used).
An X31 or X40 is comparable in specs to the larger current netbooks.
X40 with 4-cell is 1.2kg. Less with an SSD.
Of course a new X300 is in a whole different category.

> and I have full Mint KDE installed on my X30, where it works fine.
> Had to use a USB DVD drive, though.

That's USB-1 isn't it?  Take a while?
I had an older X23, and used netboot to install Linux the first time.
Then I realised it was much easier to just put the hardrive in another
laptop, install, move then hard drive back, and change a few config
settings. I think now Ubuntu will auto-detect everything on boot,
almost like the live-CD.