[plug] Sundry niggles with Hardy

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Oct 30 18:20:56 WST 2008

Blake Munro wrote:
> Hmm. Interesting.
>
> I had a problem some time ago when it did the same thing to me, it
> turns out that the update-notifier program was launching before my
> wireless had established a connection. This was causing it to try and
> connect to the internet and then immediately close after a short
> timeout period.
>
> Mind you, I have been running Intrepid since Alpha 6, updating it
> daily and have not experienced this problem at all. What version are
> you running?
>
> Try the following and see if it matches your output.
>
> blake at ibmt40:~$ ps aux |grep update
> blake     3570  0.0  0.1   3240   800 pts/0    S+   17:25   0:00 grep
> update
> blake     6467  0.0  2.9  27444 15284 ?        S    Oct29   0:02
> update-notifier
> blake at ibmt40:~$
>
> If you don't have update-notifier running then it may be quitting
> prior to establishing a connection like I mentioned earlier.
>
> Regards,
> Blake Munro
>
> 2008/10/30 David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au
> <mailto:darts at dialix.com.au>>
>
>     Blake Munro wrote:
>
>         Hi Dave,
>
>         Can't help you with the first two off the top of my head, but
>         with the update manager, check under System > Preferences >
>         Session and make sure the command 'update-manager' is invoked
>         at session start up. It may have been removed for some reason.
>
>         Regards,
>         Blake Munro
>
>         2008/10/30 David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au
>         <mailto:darts at dialix.com.au> <mailto:darts at dialix.com.au
>         <mailto:darts at dialix.com.au>>>
>

>            3. 'Updates available' icon no longer appears
>         automatically. Update
>            manager is ok when manually invoked.
>

>         Regards,
>
>         Blake Munro
>         +61 8 6363 5680
>         blake.munro at gmail.com <mailto:blake.munro at gmail.com>
>         <mailto:blake.munro at gmail.com <mailto:blake.munro at gmail.com>>
>
>     Thanks Blake, that little block was ticked (enabled), must be
>     something else?
>     Regards
>     DD
>

> Regards,
>
> Blake Munro
> +61 8 6363 5680
> blake.munro at gmail.com <mailto:blake.munro at gmail.com>

Blake I'm out of my depth here, update-notifier and
update-notifier-common are installed Synaptic tells me, and he following
is the result of your suggestion

~$ ps aux | grep update
darts     5693  0.0  1.3  26436 14012 ?        S    Oct28   0:05
update-notifier --sm-config-prefix /update-notifier-mGpIl3/
--sm-client-id 117f000001000120313180400000085350005 --screen 0
darts    16315  0.0  0.0   3012   780 pts/1    R+   18:00   0:00 grep update

Does that indicate that update-notifier is running? And I've just
discovered that Intrepid is the next Ubuntu release - or has it already
been and gone and I've missed it?

Thank you for the effort you're taking.

Regards
DD