[plug] imap & pop3 servers

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Fri Sep 5 13:31:11 WST 2008

On 05/09/2008, at 1:02 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server that needs to provide simple imap &/or
> pop3
> for only a few accounts.  Normally I'd just put dovecot on because
> it's
> easy (apt-get install...) and be done with it, but at some point this
> server will need to serve multiple domains (though only a reasonably
> small number of accounts).  I will require that almost all of those
> users /don't/ have shell accounts.  Should I be looking at something
> else to handle the added complexity (cyrus? others?) or will dovecot
> handle it?

Unless you are going to have john at domain1 and john at domain2 who are
different people, then dovecot doesn't really need to know that there
are multiple domains, does it?  As for not having shell accounts I
normally just set their login shell to /bin/false.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor