[plug] imap & pop3 servers

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Fri Sep 5 14:05:32 WST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 13:31 +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 05/09/2008, at 1:02 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a new server that needs to provide simple imap &/or
> > pop3
> > for only a few accounts.  Normally I'd just put dovecot on because
> > it's
> > easy (apt-get install...) and be done with it, but at some point this
> > server will need to serve multiple domains (though only a reasonably
> > small number of accounts).  I will require that almost all of those
> > users /don't/ have shell accounts.  Should I be looking at something
> > else to handle the added complexity (cyrus? others?) or will dovecot
> > handle it?
>
> Unless you are going to have john at domain1 and john at domain2 who are
> different people,

That's the bit I'm not sure about yet.  If I can nail that down I guess
I may be able to avoid the potential complexity.  Of cause that also
means all users will have a valid address at all domains handled by the
system.  Time to work out specific requirements.

>  then dovecot doesn't really need to know that there
> are multiple domains, does it?  As for not having shell accounts I
> normally just set their login shell to /bin/false.

Yes, that's what I normally do, but If the domains need to be completely
separate the whole mail process needs to be done outside of shell
accounts.  I'd prefer not to go there if I don't have to, so if I can
I'll keep it simple.

Thanks for helping me clarify my thinking.

Regards,
Tim
--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.