[plug] harddrive becomes read-only

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 00:22:30 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 23:23 +0800, Keith Bawden wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 22:43, Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Grown defects might be harmless, however if the number is high (I
> would say 36 is might be getting there) this could indicate eminent
> disk failure. IMHO, If the number is growing quickly then it is pretty
> much time to swap it out. These "defects" are parts of the disk marked
> as bad and as such the OS should ignore the defective areas. The
> address of these areas are detailed in the "defect list".
[...]

Okay, thanks for your advice. I have other discs to replace it with.
Trouble is, I used LVM for the first in my life and did it half-baked
(ie., not understanding all it's ins-n-outs) so am unclear how I might
swap out one drive from a 2-drive logical volume :-/

> If the drives are SMART[1] capable try SMART tools[2] [...]

Sadly, no. The drive in question reports it's not smart capable. The
other disc in the volume is, but it reports no errors so needs no
further diagnostics. Thanks.

Gavin