[plug] directly connected for remote control

Captain Bates bytemagister7 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Sep 26 14:23:44 WST 2008

Hi, I'm Ross,
I've been to a few PLUG nights at UWA, and received great help.

I have 2 celeron boxes, the 2.6GHz one has Suse 10.3 (free download with
updates)-KDE, the 700MHz one has Win98SE.  The Win programmes I use are in
constant use and ugrades are not available.   I could obtain a
registerablecopy of 98, if wine would solve my worries.

Both have PCI LAN Cards, and mobo LANs and are connected by a cross-over cable
via their PCi cards.   The suse box has access to the web, and the win box
mobo LAN is OFF in BIOS.  DHCP is used everywhere.

The suse box is my main one.

I want to be able to read the win harddrive and operate its software, copying
data between the two systems side by side using one monitor, keyboard & mouse

There is no firewall between the boxes, though I have one to the net.

I'm trying to  use VNC in the suse box, & since I'm going to a win box, I use
RDP, but it prompts me for the address(?) of a host:port "rdpserver:3389"  in
yellow and black to access the win box, and then responds with a "entered
address does not have the required form".

the address box has the text "rpd:///", & automatically adds a "/" at the end
of any entry.   I do not know nor understand what I need to put into this
box, nor where I should look to obtain a valid address.    The "///" appears
to be mandatory.

The address in the winbox found in Networks/adapter/Properties
is "127.0.0.0/8"   I have been suggested to try my" IP address"/8, but that
didn't work either.

Ideas, anyone?