[plug] directly connected for remote control

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 16:04:29 WST 2008

My recommendation is VNC.
You can get a VNC server for the windows computer. TightVNC, RealVNC,
UltraVNC are 3 that a quick google turn up. Set up the VNC Server and
then you can connect to the windows computer from the linux computer,
and see it's screen, control it's keyboard and mouse, and hopefully
even copy and paste.
Also, set up windows file sharing, then under linux you can use Samba
(also known as SMB) to access the windows hard drive.

I would strongly recommend though, seeing if wine will run the
programs, or failing that, run "VirtualBox" which is a virtual
computer, that will let you install windows to run under linux. I use
it for my etax.

Tim

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Captain Bates
<bytemagister7 at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi, I'm Ross,
> I've been to a few PLUG nights at UWA, and received great help.
>
> I have 2 celeron boxes, the 2.6GHz one has Suse 10.3 (free download with
> updates)-KDE, the 700MHz one has Win98SE.  The Win programmes I use are in
> constant use and ugrades are not available.   I could obtain a
> registerablecopy of 98, if wine would solve my worries.
>
> Both have PCI LAN Cards, and mobo LANs and are connected by a cross-over cable
> via their PCi cards.   The suse box has access to the web, and the win box
> mobo LAN is OFF in BIOS.  DHCP is used everywhere.
>
> The suse box is my main one.
>
> I want to be able to read the win harddrive and operate its software, copying
> data between the two systems side by side using one monitor, keyboard & mouse
>
> There is no firewall between the boxes, though I have one to the net.
>
> I'm trying to  use VNC in the suse box, & since I'm going to a win box, I use
> RDP, but it prompts me for the address(?) of a host:port "rdpserver:3389"  in
> yellow and black to access the win box, and then responds with a "entered
> address does not have the required form".
>
> the address box has the text "rpd:///", & automatically adds a "/" at the end
> of any entry.   I do not know nor understand what I need to put into this
> box, nor where I should look to obtain a valid address.    The "///" appears
> to be mandatory.
>
> The address in the winbox found in Networks/adapter/Properties
> is "127.0.0.0/8"   I have been suggested to try my" IP address"/8, but that
> didn't work either.
>
> Ideas, anyone?

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia