[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 1 22:27:58 WST 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:

> Are you sure that is using compatible voltage at both sides?  You
> haven't plugged the headphone out into the line in, have you?

Not really an option there. The iRiver only has a headphone out. The
cable splits into rca right and left, which plugs into the CD-in on my
amp. But,  previous to buying the iRiver, my setup was spdif-out from my
laptop using the same cable into CD-in. No apparent loss of volume
there. My guess is that the iRiver was designed for headphones only, not
as an audio source for an amp. So the solution is to beef the gains on
the files.

While I'd love to use open source vorbis, it's clear that the iRiver
doesn't support replaygain tags. Or AAC. In other words I'm *settling*
for mp3...

Jason.