[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 22:55:46 WST 2009

> Not really an option there. The iRiver only has a headphone out. The cable
> splits into rca right and left, which plugs into the CD-in on my amp. But,
>  previous to buying the iRiver, my setup was spdif-out from my laptop using
> the same cable into CD-in. No apparent loss of volume there. My guess is
> that the iRiver was designed for headphones only, not as an audio source for
> an amp. So the solution is to beef the gains on the files.
>
> While I'd love to use open source vorbis, it's clear that the iRiver doesn't
> support replaygain tags. Or AAC. In other words I'm *settling* for mp3...

Whilst you seem to have made up your mind this time, for anyone who
reads the archives in the future with a similar issue, a pre-amp might
be worth a try in this situation. The "headphone amps" that
Jaycar/Altronics sell might also be worth a look.

However, I am not an expert - this advice is subject to any pluggers
who actually grok this sort of electronics saying otherwise.

-- d