[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Kev kdownes at bbnet.com.au
Thu Apr 2 10:34:29 WST 2009

You can purchase, from Jaycar, a neat little pre-amp (model# PA-928 -
RIAA I think is the standard) for, from memory, about $16.00.  Inputs
are switchable between phono and aux.  There is also a similar item
available in kit form from Altronics.  Such a device might just do what
you want.

Cheers
Kev

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at iinet.net.au> writes:
>
>> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>
>>> What he needs is something that generates a line-level output, which the
>>> headphone socket can't deliver.  You might get something that had a
>>> headphone input on one side and a line-out on the other...
>>>
>> So how does an iPod do so well, then? Or does that have a line-out?
>>

> No idea, as I don't own one.  Apple are, if anything, more restrictive
> of their software and hardware than Microsoft, so I avoid leasing[1]
> anything from them.
>
> A quick check says that it does, on the "dock" interface, which is what
> is available when you use any of the cradle things that amplifier
> manufacturers and other CE providers use to connect them.
>

> The headphone output might also work if the levels are about right, or
> they might be like running 4 Ohm speakers on a regular amp: just fine,
> except that they generate enough extra heat from the additional load
> that the amplifier eventually melts.
>

> In other words: you /can/ get acceptable results, for a variety of
> reasons, as well as bad results, or disaster.  Unless you actually know
> the specs of the hardware on both sides you are taking quite a gamble.
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel
>
> It amazed me that this was true when I first learned it, many years ago.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  I don't think the term "buying" is really appropriate if I don't
>      actually control anything about the system, and they can remotely
>      change the set of features at any point in time.

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at bbnet.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you,
 then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve
 as for me and my household ...
 ... we will serve the LORD."               Joshua 24:15