[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 2 15:00:27 WST 2009

Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au> writes:

> You can purchase, from Jaycar, a neat little pre-amp (model# PA-928 -
> RIAA I think is the standard) for, from memory, about $16.00.  Inputs
> are switchable between phono and aux.  There is also a similar item
> available in kit form from Altronics.  Such a device might just do
> what you want.

Really?  What makes you think that, and not that this will make the
situation worse by applying an inappropriate amplifier to a mismatched
set of electrical signals?

Seriously.  Are you saying that the headphone output is comparably to a
record player in terms of preamp (and RIAA response curve) needs?

Alternately, are you suggesting that the electrical mismatch between the
line level socket on the amp is going to be any less an issue with the
mismatch of the line level input on this preamp?

Regards,
        Daniel