[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Apr 3 10:41:59 WST 2009

Jason Posavec <jasonposavec at iinet.net.au> writes:
> Kev wrote:
>> You can purchase, from Jaycar, a neat little pre-amp (model# PA-928 -
>> RIAA I think is the standard) for, from memory, about $16.00.  Inputs
>> are switchable between phono and aux.  There is also a similar item
>> available in kit form from Altronics.  Such a device might just do
>> what you want.
> So a hardware solution is my answer, rather than software?

Yes, it very much sounds like it in this case.

> Ideally, the device would pretend to be headphones for the benefit of
> the headphone jack, and a line-out for the purpose of the cd-in jacks,
> and sort the difference out in between.


> Does that sound like its specs? If so, problem solved!

Annoyingly, I can't find that device on the online Jaycar website, which
irritates me.

However, Kev cites that as being the "RIAA" standard, which is a
standard for amplification and modification of sound from a record
player that conforms to the RIAA standard response curves.

This is not applicable to headphones, which don't require such a preamp;
you can find the same equipment behind the "phono in" socket on almost
any amplifier.[1]

That suggests, sadly, that this isn't the device you want.  Jaycar also
fail to list anything that does — they have some "line level to
headphone" amplifiers, but not the reverse.


[1]  Actually, I don't know if you can any more, what with records being
     old fashioned now.  They still show up on higher end kit, and on
     most stuff from ten years ago, though. :)

More information about the plug mailing list