[plug] [Semi-OT] Jobs list?

Leon Brooks leon-plug at cyberknights.com.au
Fri Apr 3 12:06:54 WST 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009 11:27:32 Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I am back on the (seemingly small) job market.

My qualification-free advice:

    Diversify.

    Not just into IT.

Working is... kind of complicated for me at the moment,
albeit slightly less complex than earlier in the year.

I've resurrected a few old hobbies, like photography,
in that minor expertise in such fields can complement
one's basic IT skill-set.

In this case, it becomes easier to do presentation
types of work when I can acquire new images (with, of
course, full rights) essentially on demand. This is not
only creating or teaching about presentation software,
but creating or teaching about items like brochures.

I have also written stuff, particularly tech magazine
articles, so have recently taken the opportunity to use
that experience for volunteer work. This means that if
an occasion arises where I can document things or need
to produce training material, I've refreshed the talents
which render this more practical.

Your other interests could be as far afield as driving
trucks, gardening, geology or SCUBA diving. It matters
not. When you can find ways to blend this external
expertise with your IT experience, work opportunities
may arise, or the non-work activity involved may catalyse
work or simply place you within a context from which work
opportunities may be more easily claimed.

That would be my two cents worth, but we don't do any
individual cents here these days, & there is confusion
over whether US currency will switch to Ameros (after
Mexico's near-civil-war, with the southern States placing
serious barricades on the borders, that's not looking so
good).

Cheers; Leon