[plug] Fedora 10

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Apr 27 09:13:48 WST 2009

Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> writes:

> Thanks.  I finally got bitten trying to take a shortcut.  I thought if
> it's possible to have an xorg.conf, why not copy the one I've been
> using.  Not a good idea.

Actually, that is a fine idea in most cases; the files are mostly
compatible between versions.  I did this for years, successfully. :)

> Not only did I loose the gui, removing xorg.conf failed to restore it.

It is a good idea to preserve the original file you are replacing,
though, just in case. ;)

> Anyway, I reinstalled from scratch on an older 32-bit Intel system and
> it's working now.
>
> Curious thing though.  I initially installed on a 64-bit AMD system
> with only one hdd, and used the entire disk.  When I tried using the
> disk on the 32-bit Intel system, it failed to boot, saying an LVM
> could not be found.  It looks like maybe the installer detected the
> 64-bit cpu and installed some code not good on 32-bit.  Or
> something...

As far as I know the LVM headers should be compatible between 32 and 64
bit, and those are data, not code...  Strange, as you say.

> Other than fine control over what programs are run as root, is there a
> difference between sudo and kdesu?

Yes.  The later (like kdesudo) is designed to run X11 applications as
another user, while the former isn't.  Mostly this is xauth related stuff.

Regards,
        Daniel