[plug] Cross Compile i386 .deb package on amd64

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 11:19:40 WST 2009

Now I've done more research, I discovered I used to use a chroot to do
my "cross compiles".
Funny thing though, I actually ended up doing it in a virtual machine!
I was trying to compile the package for the OS running in the virtual
machine (which is SO much easier than running a testing box which I
used to do, especially as I'm testing a Hotspot solution so I can run
a virtual client too).

But for anyone googling, chroot is the way for normal cross compiles.
VM is good if you already have VM's lying around. :P

Thanks guys for your input.

TIm

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Michael
Holland<michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wasn't advocating anything. The chroot is a more elegant solution to this
> particular problem.
> But especially for someone less familiar with Unix, a VM is conceptually
> simpler.
>
> And VMs have much broader application, so you may well want to have some VMs
> lying about anyway.
>

> 2009/8/7 Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
>>
>> Michael Holland <michael.holland at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Or you could just run a 32-bit virtual machine to do it.
>> > That can be very quick to set up. (i386 on amd64)
>>
>> I am curious to know why you are advocating a virtual machine — by which
>> I envision something like a KVM or VMWare VM — rather than just using a
>> 32-bit
>> chroot?
>>
>> Personally, I can't see anything but drawbacks to the former approach, but
>> perhaps I am missing something?
>>
>> Regards,
>>        Daniel
>> --
>> ✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel at rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155
>> 707
>>               ♽ made with 100 percent post-consumer electrons
>>    Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  Let me know.

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia