[plug] Mini ITX Access Point?

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 17 12:50:04 WST 2009

Adrian Woodley <Adrian at Diskworld.com.au> wrote:

>At work we're starting to play around with Yawarra gear, for both
>routers and APs.
>If you can it to fit on a CF (2-4G?) you should be laughing.

>http://www.yawarra.com.au/

That may work for a small network behind the proxy.

Squid on CF for web sites? Nope. Don't recommend it. It'll wear out
quickly.

There are some Atom-based Mini-ITX boards around, but those with
more than one NIC on-board are hard to find. You can get a fan-less
PSU for the small amount of power required, and an 8G SSD
(SLC-based) with reasonable wear life and not too expensive (<$300).
The boards can accept 2G or more of RAM, so a 1G RAM disc isn't out
of the question for squid cache.

No moving parts. I'd fit a low-speed/quiet fan anyway (e.g. Noctua).
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The growth of knowledge depends
 X   against HTML mail     | entirely on disagreement.
/ \  and postings          |  -- Karl Popper