[plug] Question about upgrading from Debian 4.0 to 5.0

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Aug 25 16:00:46 WST 2009

Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> writes:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:25:21 +1000
>> From: Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>
>> To: plug at plug.org.au
>> Subject: Re: [plug] Question about upgrading from Debian 4.0 to 5.0
>>
>> Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> writes:
>>
>>> I am thinking about upgrading my Debian installation, from 4.0 to Debian
>>> 5.0, on this system. On my laptop, I had done a clean installation of Debian
>>> 5.0.
>>>
>>> To do the upgrade, I am looking at doing it by just changing the URL's in
>>> the sources.list file, from etch to lenny, and then doing an apt-get update
>>> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.
>>
>> Don't do that.
>>
>>> Has anyone else done it this way, and, has it caused (or, is it likely to
>>> cause) any problems?
>>
>> Yes.  You might get lucky, but it *HAS* caused some problems for some people.
>>
>> What you should do, instead, is read the Debian release notes.
>>
>> They include detailed instructions on how to perform the upgrade that work
>> around any issues found to date, as well as ensuring that you are aware of
>> anything specific you should check on the way.
>
> It looks like it is simply too complicated, to do the upgrade.

Um, honesty, it isn't.  Really.  For true.  (Sorry if I scared you.)

Debian is very, very good at upgrading between versions.  I have machines that
have been upgraded for literally a decade with Debian, and it isn't that
terrible.

The release notes usually make it, like, a three step process or so, in which
you resolve any critical issues that are very common[1], then any key first
round upgrades, then just upgrade overall.

It isn't terribly hard, and just "dist-upgrade" might work, but it is better
to check and see what other people had go wrong first.

Regards,
        Daniel

No, seriously, don't give up on the idea.  I made it sound *WAY* too scary if
you have.  I am very, very sorry about doing that.

Footnotes:
[1]  The size of the *fixed* mmap cache for package files in Etch was not
     sufficient to accommodate some upgrades, so they recommend bumping that
     early, IIRC.

   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.