[plug] Question about upgrading from Debian 4.0 to 5.0

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Aug 25 15:39:32 WST 2009

I would agree.

I have done quite a few upgrades like that, and well, some worked fine,
some seemed to work fine, to find later some packages are broken, and
some just plain failed.
I reckon it all depends on what is installed.
Some packages upgrade well, others don't.

Also, I would suggest you rather use (and for daily usage) aptitude
rather that apt-get.
Aptitude has better dependency checking, and a lot of other additional
features that apt-get does not.
You can use it just like apt-get. I have never used it's gui interface

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html (see 8.1.3)

-Lucas