[plug] N-Wireless pci network card

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 26 13:43:31 WST 2009

My sony laptop has an intel chipset - supported in the kernel (no
drivers needed, though I needed a firmware package from somewhere ... -
works very well.

I have an tp-link pci network card (atheros chipset) in another machine,
and had fedora and gentoo on it briefly before I had to install windoze
and that worked under linux, but I cant remember the details other than
no issues.  Other atheros cardbus cards Ive tried in laptops in the past
were mostly disasters (using madwifi drivers - workability was highly
version dependent, one would be ok, the next hardly worked at all.

Rather than try different cards, different drivers (including using
ndiswrapper and/or driverloader - ndiswrapper was excellent on a
broadcom chipset in a dell that wasnt supported in the kernel at the
time) might be a better approach.

BillK

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 13:25 +0800, Lucas van Staden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a wireless-N network card that is stable, and which
> does not use the ath9k driver?
>
> I now have 4 wireless-N cards (all different brands), but they all use
> the ath9k drivers, which seems to have some connectivity issues.
> With all of them I've had the issue where they disconnect and reconnect
> randomly. The ath9k bug tracking system is full of people complaining
> about the same issue.
> Using the latest wireless-compat drivers has not solved my issue.
> The connection issue would not normally be noticed, as it is quite fast
> to reconnect, but it drops my vpn to the uk, which is getting frustrating.
>
> I now have my work machine back on g-network, and thus have the
> wireless-g router running just for one machine.
> I am hoping to try a card with a different chipset/driver, before I give
> up, and replace the router (belkin), which could be the issue,
> but until I try another chipset based wireless-N card, I can't be sure.
>
> -Lucas

Home in Perth!