[plug] Collecting mail from a remote server

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Dec 17 08:05:48 WST 2009

Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> writes:

> I have a couple of linux boxes I take care of that only operate onsite
> within the local lan. They have Exim as the local mail server which
> takes care of delivering all the local mail.
>
> Up until recently I have been logging in via ssh and manually checking
> the mail.
>
> I am looking to try to automate this process to allow me to bring the
> mail directly into my mail client.

    echo '&me at another.net' | ssh myuser at example.com 'cat > .forward'

Then, Exim should automatically forward your email to 'me at another.net'; season
to taste or read the manual for more details on using .forward files.[1]

> At present I was considering using ssh with a key agent to log in and
> copy / move any mail in the maildir on the remote machine into a folder
> on my own client. This may not, however, be "The Best Way (tm)"

I can't imagine why you don't want to simply forward the email to your
preferred address using the regular, decades old facilities to do this.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  If you (or your destination mail host) are silly enough to use SPF to
     verify inbound email, be aware that they "legislated" this facility out
     of existence, and it will cause gratuitous and incorrect "SPF Fail"
     results.