[plug] Collecting mail from a remote server

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Thu Dec 17 09:28:18 WST 2009

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:05:48 +1100
Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> Adam Davin <byteme-its at westnet.com.au> writes:
>
> > I have a couple of linux boxes I take care of that only operate
> > onsite within the local lan. They have Exim as the local mail
> > server which takes care of delivering all the local mail.
> >
> > Up until recently I have been logging in via ssh and manually
> > checking the mail.
> >
> > I am looking to try to automate this process to allow me to bring
> > the mail directly into my mail client.
>
>     echo '&me at another.net' | ssh myuser at example.com 'cat > .forward'
>
> Then, Exim should automatically forward your email to
> 'me at another.net'; season to taste or read the manual for more details
> on using .forward files.[1]
>
> > At present I was considering using ssh with a key agent to log in
> > and copy / move any mail in the maildir on the remote machine into
> > a folder on my own client. This may not, however, be "The Best Way
> > (tm)"
>
> I can't imagine why you don't want to simply forward the email to your
> preferred address using the regular, decades old facilities to do
> this.

Most likely cause of this is lack of knowledge of the "regular, decades
old facilities to do this"... Any pointers to these wonderful
facilities, even if just the man files to read would be appreciated..

Exim is currently only set up to deliver local mail. I played around
with the /etc/alias file and the /etc/email-addresses files for a while
trying to get the mail to forward but Exim couldn't resolve the
external addresses or something of that nature.

I was not sure how difficult it was to reconfigure exim to pass on mail
to an external SMTP and was more concerned that the external smtp,
given the linux box has no "official" domain, might reject the mail.

I spent a couple of hours digging around and time was lacking so I
thought I would ask for the wisdom of the group to see if there is /
was a better way to do it.. For all  I know I may be imagining bug
bears where there are none..

Thanks again :)

Regards,

--