[plug] Problem with laptop running Ubuntu 8.10

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Feb 5 23:40:28 WST 2009

Hello.

I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 running Ubuntu 8.10, in a multiple boot
installation. (Well, it was, when it was operating properly)

I have just gone to look at an image that was displayed in a web
browser window the last time that I used the computer (a couple of days
ago), and the screen displays only the background, with no desktop, no
panel, no date/time, or anything else.

Nothing responds on the computer; <alt><F1> to got to a console (if that
works in Ubuntu), <CTRL><ALT><DELETE>, and, the ON/OFF switch.

What do I do, without destroying either the computer or the systems
installed, to get it working again?

We had a power blackout here today, for about 10-30 seconds (the
electricity supply is damngerous in this area), but surely, the battery
should have taken over, without doing any damage.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale