[plug] Cable Management Software

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:21:55 WST 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Adam Hewitt <ahewitt at theozhewitts.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been tasked with conducting an audit of our fibre network at
> work. This is likely to take me a couple of months and I am likely to
> feel like throwing myself off a building before its finished.
> Therefore if I am going to do it now, I want to do it right to prevent
> the next person from having to go through the same task...
>
> What I would like to do is put this information into a database of
> some description that is accessible to anyone who is likely to be
> making or coordinating changes to the fibre connections. Does anyone
> have any recommendations for packages that do this out of the box?
> Although I would prefer a LAMP setup to store and present this data, I
> really don't have the time (nor the permission) to plan and execute it
> all myself. I am really looking for something free, open source that I
> can just start using.

I've hit very much the same problem, except with CAT6 patches in
building wiring closets (and fibre to some degree, I guess). Currently
the documentation is in a pile of spreadsheets on my laptop, as I had
a bit of a look a few months ago and wasn't able to find anything that
would do it nicely.

I was planning to write up something in django when I get some free
time (hur), but if someone else has a recommendation that would be
awesome.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting