[plug] Unattended reset of ADSL modem

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:11:08 WST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Steve Boak <sboak at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> My question is, how is this sort of problem handled in the commercial world
> where this type of downtime would be intolerable?

Write a script that restarts the modem/web server/critical storage
system every 5 minutes. Problem solved!

You could make a little watchdog device that trips a relay if it can't
ping out and resets the modem - just interface the relay to the
parallel port of a computer and write a script to do the pinging and
resetting.

Alternatively, I've noticed that my modem isn't very tolerant of bad
power; a thunderstorm nearby can make it lock up. Have you tried
sticking it on a dual-conversion UPS or similar?

-Patrick