[plug] Unattended reset of ADSL modem

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 17 16:46:28 WST 2009

Steve Boak <sboak at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:24:57 pm Matt Kemner wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, quoth Steve Boak:

>> > My question is, how is this sort of problem handled in the commercial
>> > world where this type of downtime would be intolerable? I've thought of
>> > scripting an automatic reset through the modem control web page, or
>> > reinstating a dialup modem to get limited access, but what do other
>> > people do?
>>
>> In the commercial world we use modems/routers that don't have this problem
>> :)

>Thanks everyone.

>Pulling all the comments together, the prevailing opinion seems to be 'Buy a
>proper modem' :-)

>In the meantime, and because I like tinkering, I will work on automating a
>reset triggered by ping failures.

Got a spare serial or parallel port on the Linux router and a soldering iron?

Easy enough to put a relay on there, drawing power from inside the
Linux box for the relay coil, with the normally-closed contacts used
to put power into the modem. You energise the relay when pings fail.
(Your PPPoE-down script could also do it). Leave it energised for 90
to 120 seconds and then return the power to the modem.

You can make it "neat" by putting it on the inside of a PCI blanking
plate, with plug and socket for modem power in and out.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Religion is regarded by the common people
 X   against HTML mail     | as true, by the wise as false, and by the
/ \  and postings          | rulers as useful.  -- Seneca the Younger