[plug] Unattended reset of ADSL modem

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Tue Feb 17 13:06:18 WST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:24:57 pm Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, quoth Steve Boak:
> > My question is, how is this sort of problem handled in the commercial
> > world where this type of downtime would be intolerable? I've thought of
> > scripting an automatic reset through the modem control web page, or
> > reinstating a dialup modem to get limited access, but what do other
> > people do?
>
> In the commercial world we use modems/routers that don't have this problem
> :)

Thanks everyone.

Pulling all the comments together, the prevailing opinion seems to be 'Buy a
proper modem' :-)

In the meantime, and because I like tinkering, I will work on automating a
reset triggered by ping failures.

I'm with Westnet, so I looked on my account page for a line reset option.
There is a 'disconnect current internet connection' option under
the 'technical' tab, but it doesn't do anything obvious other than log me out
of my account in the browser. Maybe it only works on dialup - I'll talk to
support about that. Next time it happens I'll ask support to reset the ADSL
connection manually and see if that works.

I have had absolutely zero problems with this modem other than this occasional
lockup, which I'm attributing to a failure to reconnect after an
exchange 'event'. It's been bulletproof otherwise through many thunderstorms
and power outages - unfortunately very common down here.

Matt mentioned a Dynalink RTA1025W, any other recommendations for good quality
ADSL (ADSL-1 only available here) modems?

Thanks again

Steve