[plug] PLUG Library

Lance Duivenbode plug at duivenbode.id.au
Tue Feb 24 20:36:18 WST 2009

Sorry about the lack of input into this - real life has kept me busy as
of late. Thanks also to Patrick for getting the ball rolling - even if
he did forget at the AGM ;-)

So from what I've read, there are two views here.

The first is that we increase the actual stock the library carries -
which at the moment consists of some relatively out of date books and
some CDs/DVDs. The main problem I see with this is expenditure - since
we're a volunteer organisation with minimal income I don't see how we
can purchase materials on a regular basis so too keep 'up-to-date'. For
example, I saw a great book on Ubuntu 8.10 in Boffins the other day, but
it was $75. Does PLUG really have that the money to be buying copies of
it? An alternative to buying books is to perhaps organise some kind of
sponsorship program where books are materials are donated.

The second option, which I favour myself (even if it means I might
actually have to do something!), is to create a repository of resources
- preferably in some wiki type format. I envisage that such a repository
would contain links to documentation (such as those that Ari regularly
emails to this list), hints and tips, reviews on materials (i.e. book
reviews with links to local stores that have them), and important
GNU/Linux related information (such as local APT mirrors). I don't think
it will need to be heavily moderated, but I'm keen on the idea of only
fully paid members being able to edit it. Myself (and perhaps others)
could then review all changes on a monthly or similar basis.

Comments?

Lance