[plug] iinet freezone

Niffum bulkniffum at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 7 00:26:00 WST 2009

Looks like i missed something... Here I was thinking that the 'free
zone' was anything connected to waix... I wasn't very impressed when
i clicked on 'freezone' on the iinet web page and it came up with all
this crap... I saw a mention of a plugin to block flash in
firefox.  I use noscript in firefox.  Nothing funnier than blocking
statistics that go back to google.... its amazing what web developers
now think they can do... must believe that no one is watching.  Its
nice to have a little control over what content _I_ want my browser to play.

I saw a mention to iiNets NASA feed and the use of telnet.  I like
using wget then i can chop chop and follow the trail till i find the
content I want and play it how i want to play it.

Its also along the lines of websites that make it difficult to
download content... they want to 'own' the content... but usually the
content was never their content to start with.  Who wants to watch
youtube live... lag, latency... pft. the plugin for firefox called
DownloadHelper seems to download flv files right from youtube so i
can watch them without any pauses...skips...and i don't have to screw
around trying to find a link, it just does it for me.

I would ring iinet support, but i have a feeling iinet support would
be the kind of support that would sell me an adsl1 filter for
adsl2+... or they would tell me to check my dns settings (I run my
own two dns servers ,one for good luck, iinets have never been much
much chop for me)

I use the ftp site for my debian sources.list, but it seems to be as
stable as the iinet name servers... when i want it, it doesn't
work.  I only use it because its apparently part of the 'freezone'.