[plug] OpenVPN with Ubuntu

Kai Jones kaij at kamsc.org.au
Thu Jan 8 10:50:49 WST 2009

'morning guys and girls,

This is my first bash at configuring VPN, on Ubuntu 8.1, using OpenVPN,
reading the HOWTO:
http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/howto.html

The box I'm working on is in service so I'm trying to be carefull not to
break anything, so far I can get it as far as handshaking, with this
error:

Thu Jan  8 08:27:33 2009 VERIFY ERROR: depth=0, error=unsupported
certificate purpose:
/C=AU/ST=WA/L=Broome/O=..../OU=..../CN=..../emailAddress=....
Thu Jan  8 08:27:33 2009 TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed

Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms in google but so far I haven't
found anything that helps point me in the right direction as to how you
set a certificate's purpose, where to find something that shows me how
to make a certicate fit it's purpose (?!) and or how to turn off
certificate's temporarily just to see if the VPN will at least connect
without it

Server and client are both set to port 2009, UDP, non bridged mode.

Tried the following on server and client respectively, with the same
error as listed above-
openvpn --auth none --tls-server --config server.conf --tls-auth
server.key
openvpn --auth none --tls-client --config client.conf --tls-auth
client2.key

Any suggestions great appreciated.

Cheers
Kai