[plug] iinet freezone

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Fri Jan 9 08:15:27 WST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:59:28PM +0900, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> > You might want to look closer at your setup - iinet dns etc all work
> > fine other than rare glitches so you might have problems your side.
>
> I'd disagree; based on my anecdotal experience iinet DNS is a bit
> dicky sometimes. I've had customers independently come to me and ask
> for recommendations of other servers based on problems they've been
> seeing. The symptoms are basically that random stuff intermittently
> returns NXDOMAIN (iirc); as soon as you switch to Telstra, or Optus,
> or even OpenDNS everything works fine.

I have also had issues but the way my DSL router works is it sets itself
up as the DNS server for DHCP clients and then must forward requests to
the iiNet DNS servers. I haven't done any investigating to determine whether
it's iiNet's issue or my DSL router. But basically using this default
setup sucks so I usually run bind in caching mode on my system instead
(no forwarders).

Jason