[plug] iinet freezone

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 9 09:21:37 WST 2009

Jason Nicholls <jason at mindsocket.com.au> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:59:28PM +0900, Patrick Coleman wrote:

>> > You might want to look closer at your setup - iinet dns etc all
>> > work fine other than rare glitches so you might have problems
>> > your side.

>> I'd disagree; based on my anecdotal experience iinet DNS is a bit
>> dicky sometimes. I've had customers independently come to me and
>> ask for recommendations of other servers based on problems
>> they've been seeing. The symptoms are basically that random stuff
>> intermittently returns NXDOMAIN (iirc); as soon as you switch to
>> Telstra, or Optus, or even OpenDNS everything works fine.

>I have also had issues but the way my DSL router works is it sets
>itself up as the DNS server for DHCP clients and then must forward
>requests to the iiNet DNS servers. I haven't done any investigating
>to determine whether it's iiNet's issue or my DSL router. But
>basically using this default setup sucks so I usually run bind in
>caching mode on my system instead (no forwarders).

My DSL router is a Linux (firewall) system that uses the DSL modem
in bridge mode. The NS is behind the firewall and uses iiNet's as
forwarders. From named.conf:
	forwarders { 203.0.178.191; 203.59.24.3; 203.14.169.3; };

I wouldn't say that the DNS has been "unstable". Problems are most
likely IME related to the DSL "winking out"; or the rest of the
world becoming disconnected from iiNet (i.e. no route to known IP
addresses).
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Second to agriculture, humbug is the
 X   against HTML mail     | biggest industry of our age.
/ \  and postings          |   -- Alfred Nobel