[plug] iinet freezone

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri Jan 9 23:58:09 WST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009, Craig Foster wrote:

> Someone has to pay for it...

Heh. Come on, queue randoms saying "but its just ethernet!"

Go on. I want to hear you. ;)

> What's funny is comparing Amnet (approx 200Mb up /100Mb down) with iiNet
> and their charged uploads (100Mb down / 200Mb up).
> Especially since iiNet houses so many mirrors and Akamai/Cachefly
> servers, and Amnet's data centre's are so dinky :)

> Only issues with iiNet's DNS that I've had are occasional NXDOMAIN
> returns, but those outages are usually over pretty quick. I use OpenDNS
> as secondaries so that customers never see any real downtime and because
> geographically and route-independent services are a "good thing"(tm).

Be careful, that may throw off GeoIP DNS type services and skew traffic
to go to offnet destinations.

Your'e better off in the long run trying to work with iiNet to solve
their random NXDOMAIN issues versus you (and others) migrating to third
party name servers.

Adrian