[plug] Wireless-N router for faster wireless....

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jan 20 13:27:30 WST 2009

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:

> Yes, you have to separate the bandwidth - if you have two groups of
> machines on different channels, you will need to bridge them - I think
> upnp needs to be on the same subnet.  2nd cheap access point may be
> the way to go?
>
> Also, if you can design it to be a totally isolated link, you might be
> able to turn off WPA and gain quite a lot of bandwidth.

What?  Can you back up that assertion?  WPA should have *no* effect on
available bandwidth, in general.

Some specific hardware may not perform well, but that is more an issue
with the encryption algorithm than WPA itself — especially since TKIP
uses the WEP algorithm, rekeyed automatically.

Specifically, some hardware may fall back to software / firmware when
using AES encryption with WPA2, but none of it should show any
significant degradation when running TKIP.

Regards,
        Daniel