[plug] vnc - strange behaviour under Centos

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Sat Jul 4 10:17:59 WST 2009

Vncserver is started up via xinetd on a CentOS 5.3 host, either virtual or
real. I can connect to the server via vnc and get the login screen. I can
also login as either a user or as root and get the corresponding desktop.

What happens next is CentOS 5.3 specific, as it works well on SuSE Linux,
Ubuntu etc. On a CentOS 5.3 host, when I am connected as a normal user via
VNC,  and I try to open a 'privileged' program (one that would prompt for a
root password) or anything else that requires the root password, neither the
password dialog nor the program will show up.

Trying the same but logged in as root, the program will just not display. No
errors in any of the logs.

Anybody having the same problems? How did you fix it?

Peter