[plug] Looking for light weight OS on CD

James Clarke jamesc at global.net.au
Sun Jul 12 20:40:02 WST 2009

Hi All Pluggers,

Greetings from Kyoto on a sweltering summer's night...

A friend of mine's 7 year old Dell laptop is falling to boot, due to a
head crash on the hard drive damaging the core OS (System 32 directory
on Windows XP) files.

Looking for a light weight OS on a CD (tried Ubuntu 8.04, but gave up
after an hour and half and it still hadn't finished booting up) so I
can see if I can salvage anything from the Hard Drive on to a USB
Thumb drive.

Requirements:-

* Light weight OS on a CD (preferably Linux based)
* Let's me read Fat32 and NTFS partitions on harddrive.
* Let's me mount a USB thumb drive and write files to it
* Wireless network card support (nice to have, but cable OK)
* Reasonable web browser (Like Firefox 2 or better)
* Works well on a 7 year old Dell Laptop

Cheers,

James

http://jamri.smugmug.com