[plug] unwanted date harvesting by omniture for ebay

Simon Newton lists at nomis52.net
Tue Jul 14 11:55:48 WST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Gavin Chester<gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 09:26 -0700, Simon Newton wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Michael
>> Holland<michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > That's a big hosts file, and I think it will be read linearly for every NS
>> > lookup.
>>
>> If you're going to use this file I'd strongly recommend removing the
>>
>> 64.233.187.104        g        # google.com
>>
>> line. Not using it works fine as well :).
>
> Not sure why you "strongly" recommend that course of action :-/ Not
> using that google entry myself, but if you read the comment line
> associated with that entry it's to give a 'one-key' shortcut to google
> from the address line, not to 'block' google. Is there an issue that
> would cause? Just curious.

Many sites use DNS as the first layer of load balancing. Hard coding
an IP address results in clients disobeying the load balancing policy
and you risk going to a frontend that is malfunctioning or not in
service.  It also means you're unlikely to be using the best frontend
from a latency perspective.

Simon N