[plug] Groupware (Shared calendar / address book)

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Jun 16 16:33:34 WST 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> writes:
>
>> I'm currently converting an office over from Exchange to something a little
>> more open, but have come up against the groupware wall.
>>
>> The preferred client for windows is outlook.
>
> Ouch.  If they want groupware functionality and Outlook then you are going to
> have to pay money for it, in my experience.

I don't have a problem paying for software if it delivers the desired results.

>> This is primarily as the two windows users sync with their blackberries.
>
> I can't say this strongly enough: if the proposed solution to this ever
> involves NotifyLink, run, don't walk, the other way.

I'm not sure what they use at the moment, but whatever it is seems to work for them (I think it's
the Blackberry desktop software and it syncs directly with outlook for them).

> Anyway, I advise Zimbra; it is, so far, the least awful of the available
> options.  Their commercial option is reasonable, but you probably will pay
> less if you use a hosted version rather than running your own.

After spending several days sifting through lots of fluff on the web this was the opinion I was forming.

> Specifically, you will do that unless you need 25+ license, because of the
> cost of the mobile connector service.

Hosting is not an option for us (one of the many reasons we can't / won't / don't use any Google
Apps) as the business involves information that must have traceable / auditable security procedures.

I'll grab a copy of Zimbra and start playing.

I've spent this afternoon combing the web for any signs of any reliable PIM syncing between any
available phones and linux after finally coming to the conclusion that PalmOS is dead ( years after
the rest of the world apparently - I'm always been a late bloomer ), but its looking increasingly
depressing out there. I would have assumed someone would have a method of syncing a desktop to
Android but nooooooo.

Everyone is putting their eggs in the "cloud" (excuse me while I puke). We don't have that luxury
and must host everything internally, so it's becoming quite a challenge. Not that I'd trust any
outside organisation with my data anyway.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them