[plug] Keep-alive remote gnome session

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Jun 19 14:06:56 WST 2009

Marcos Raul Carot Collins wrote:
>> My machine never sleeps, it is always busy with something, but amarok is
>> not always open or playing.
>>

> Serve the music from your machine then ;)

Her machine is hard-wired to the router,
She serves music (via pulseaudio) to the remote music server in the
lounge area (using wireless), so it can play over the amp.
If the store is on my machine (wireless also) the music stutters as the
wireless is not fast enough to handle the content from my machine, to
hers, and then back to the music server.

Additionally....

Found it less troublesome (and demanding).
Have you tried to explain why something as simple as playing music is
not possible,
or why it takes a while to copy new files over to the 'folder' where the
music is,
don't even try and explain why it is 'remote' in the first place.....
or why the music stops when I reboot.

Enough reasons for you  ;)

I did at one time have duplication of the store on both machines,
but it was always out of sync. (we both make edits to the files,
renaming, fixing tags  etc as we go along)

So far this worked, having it on her machine.

I don't mind the challenge to sort out the occasional issue, and it
allows me to learn a new thing now and then.
The standby option is something new she recently done to her machine,
just something new to overcome....

-Lucas