[plug] Keep-alive remote gnome session

Phillip Bennett phillip.bennett at nhs.net
Fri Jun 19 16:46:03 WST 2009

I had a similar problem this week.  I was trying to ssh from work to
home, then from my main machine to my laptop.  The laptop was asleep
before I got to work due to the power saving options (It takes a while
to get here)...  So I started a screen session on the laptop and started
pinging the main server, and left for work.  When I got to work, I could
still log in to the laptop and it was all fine.  When I was done, I just
reconnected the screen and stopped the pings.

Hth,
Phil.

Lucas van Staden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Music is stored on wife's machine, shared using a nfs share.
> Her machine is configured to 'sleep' after and hour's inactivity (done
> using the gnome settings for screensaver/power management.)
>
> The obvious issue is that when I am listening to music (using Amarok),
> the share would go away.
>
> I manually send a wakeonlan packet to the machine to wake it back up,
> but that has become tedious, so I created a small script for amarok
> which runs on each song change.
>
> the hope was that I could just ping to the remote machine on each song
> change to keep it awake. It does not work. Ping was done with -c 3 to
> limit pings sent.
>
> The settings in question must only be looking at the gnome (xorg)
> session activity, so the ping is not registering.
>
> Any ideas how I can keep it alive via the script.
> I can do a remote ssh connection with a command to run (will setup
> private key to make that passwordless), but I have no idea what to do to
> make the remote session stay active from the shell.
>

> -Lucas

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail