[plug] Keep-alive remote gnome session

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Jun 19 17:05:34 WST 2009

Hi,

screen is magic, I never ssh without it.

So, in your case, doing an active ping from the machine that has the
power save setup, caused the machine to stay up?

Also - could you not send a WOL packet to the laptop from your main
machine?
That bit works for me using 'wakeonlan', so I can wake it up, not
prevent the sleep at the moment.

It is a pity the ping did not work, (should it?)
as that would have solved my issue.
It is easy to just send a couple of pings to the remote machine on every
track change in amarok.

AT the moment, my solution is to:

Write a bit of code in a script on the remote machine that does the
inhibit and uninhibit parts of the powersave.
On my machine, when amarok starts, I do an ssh to remote machine and
call that script to inhibit.
Amarok plays, (no further requests), except for a STOP PLAY event (which
I can trap) which again does an ssh, but this time to uninhibit.
There is also the uninhibit call if amarok is closed.

Seems a bit long winded, so I am still doing a bit of checking to see if
a simple 'prod' to the remote machine will not also work.
It is just a pity that work gets in the way of giving this my 100%.

-Lucas