[plug] Keep-alive remote gnome session

Phillip Bennett phillip.bennett at nhs.net
Fri Jun 19 17:37:23 WST 2009

Yes, doing the ping from the laptop caused it to stay up (as far as I
can tell!)  I can't simply do a wake on LAN because the laptop is
wireless and it shuts down the wireless card when it sleeps.  Well, that
and the fact that I've never even looked into WOL....  :P

I think it matters in which direction the pings are going.  FROM your
machine to the server probably won't work, but TO your machine FROM the
server should.  I would say it's because responding to pings isn't
classed as "doing something" while sending out pings would be.  And is
you did this from inside an ssh session it should be fine.  I'd say if
you got your script to ssh to the box when Amarok starts, and get it to
start pinging something, then killing the ssh session when Amarok
closes, would be an OK solution.

I looked around this morning (it's still morning where I am!), but
couldn't find anything that mentions how to stop powersave..  I say give
the pinging a go and let us know if it works or not.

Phil.