[plug] Scanners - again!

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 24 19:52:02 WST 2009

For my epson CX5900 on gentoo

moriah ~ # lsusb
Bus 005 Device 009: ID 04b8:082e Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 002 Device 030: ID 1457:5122
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
moriah ~ #

edit /etc/udev/rules/70-libsane.rules

and add the following one liner

ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="082e", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Just make the changes for your usb numbers

BillK

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 18:30 +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
> Further to recent correspondence on scanners:
>
> After checking whether drivers are available, I finally bought a Canon
> MP630 (influenced, too by a cheap offer from Harvey Norman), but the
> driver position is not as it seemed.
>
> The printer's working ok but I'm buggered if I can get the scanner to work.
>
> I've followed all the directions at www.sane-project.org/man/pixma5.htm,
> I've loaded the Canon linux drivers from the canon asia website, and
> spent all day at it without success.
>
> Under my previous setup, (Canon Lide scanner) Xsane recognised the
> webcam and scanner but now all I get is the error message:
>
> "Failed to open device 'v4l:/dev/video0': Invalid argument", without any
> recognition of the scanner...
>
> scanimage -L produces:  "v4l:/dev/video0 is a noname UVCcamera
> (046d:0990) virtual device"
>
> It seems that it ubuntu needs to be told where to find the scanner (at
> libusb:001:005).  How do I do that?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Dave Dartnall
Home in Perth!