[plug] Scanners - again!

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Wed Jun 24 18:30:46 WST 2009

Further to recent correspondence on scanners:

After checking whether drivers are available, I finally bought a Canon
MP630 (influenced, too by a cheap offer from Harvey Norman), but the
driver position is not as it seemed.

The printer's working ok but I'm buggered if I can get the scanner to work.

I've followed all the directions at www.sane-project.org/man/pixma5.htm,
I've loaded the Canon linux drivers from the canon asia website, and
spent all day at it without success.

Under my previous setup, (Canon Lide scanner) Xsane recognised the
webcam and scanner but now all I get is the error message:

"Failed to open device 'v4l:/dev/video0': Invalid argument", without any
recognition of the scanner...

scanimage -L produces:  "v4l:/dev/video0 is a noname UVCcamera
(046d:0990) virtual device"

It seems that it ubuntu needs to be told where to find the scanner (at
libusb:001:005).  How do I do that?

Any help appreciated.

Dave Dartnall