[plug] Scanners - again!

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Sat Jun 27 22:13:44 WST 2009

Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 01:24:20PM +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
>
>> Pluggers
>>
>> This email was meant to go to all, not just BillK. Self explanatory.
>>

> Hi! I'll just send this to you for today, but please do send a summary
> post back to the list when you've sorted it out, whether it's with this
> unit or something else.
>
> This is exactly what a local user group's good for - someone sees a
> widget that's actually for sale locally, gives it a go and can tell
> us whether it works or not. Trouble is, they come and go, a completely
> different model's available next week.
>
> So - you got a Canon MP630 from Harvey Norman:
>

>> After checking whether drivers are available, I finally bought a Canon
>> MP630 (influenced, too by a cheap offer from Harvey Norman), but the
>> driver position is not as it seemed.
>>
> [lsusb -v]
>
>> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04a9:172e Canon, Inc. Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000
>>

>> And now it's the day after tomorrow - didn't get near the computer
>> yesterday - and wasted most of the today trying suggested solutions,
>> some of which were out-of-date, without success. I'm too old for this
>> kind of thing - I might as well try and sell the thing, it's no good to
>> me I can't get it to work. I paid $227 on 22-06 and the next day I saw
>> HN selling them for less than $200 and I'm pissed off! Really pissed off.
>>

> You might be able to get $27-$30 back, using the 110% price
> promise, "if you see it advertised (elsewhere) within 30 days":
> http://www.harveynorman.com.au/pricepromise/index.html
>
> ..._maybe_ if it's HN beating themselves, _definitely_ if you get a
> website or Officeworks or BigW catalogue beating the $227.
>
> Sometimes you can find extra-special deals on:
> http://www.lasoo.com.au/
> http://www.ozbargain.com.au/
>

>> Is there anyone in the group willing to come & fix it for me for a fee?
>> Let me know how much. I don't want to impose on the plug members for
>> free advice in this case, it's too much.
>>

> I'm happy to give it a go, headed off down south for a camp for a couple
> of days, though.
>

>> Or I'll sell it for $150, back in it's original box (and delivered
>> within 10km) and get something that works... Might be the best idea
>> anyway. Any suggestions?
>>

> Do that by all means, but I'd be delighted to see you up and running with
> something. I could use a scanner, myself but I'm picky and I wasn't in
> a rush to get one instantly.
>
> Nick.

Thanks for your interest Nick.

The best outcome for me would definitely to get the beast to work, but I
can't seem to get it right.
I said that the printer worked but now it stops with the mesasage:

"Unable to open device
"hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4a9_172e_12CEC8_if1_printer_noserial":
Permission denied.

This is using the recommended driver "Canon PIXMA MP610 -
CUPS+Gutenprint (OpenPrinting LSB 3.2) v5.2.3 Simplified"
and modifying in accordance with
http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/02/canon-mp210-and-mp520-join-party.html.

An attempt to scan returns the message:

scanimage: open of device v4l:/dev/video0 failed: Invalid argument"

Dave D