[plug] Apache Access trickery

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:52:07 WST 2009

I'm attempting to setup my apache2 web server, so that any access to
the root director ( www.example.com/ ) will show them the index.html
page, BUT deny any other access other than what is explicitly allowed.
I currently have a Directory directive for /var/www that denys access
to anyone outside of the local lan. I have a few Directory and
Location directives that give access to everyone to certain parts of
the server (for example a svn repository). But haven't worked out how
to give access to just the root of the server (index.html page).
I CAN give them access to www.example.com/index.html but of course,
not many people go their first. And I don't want to move the document
root of the server, because the rest of the stuff needs to be
accessible to intranet users. It's just internet users that I want to
limit to parts of the site. I was thinking a Location directive would
work, but from what I've read, a Location directive of "/" would
basically give them access to that whole directory I just restricted
them access too!

Thanks

Tim

--